Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Leftovers - - Return of the Blood Orange


Is it wrong to write about blood oranges two days in a row? I hope not, because I’m about to. I started to think, “Why do I even have blood oranges in my house?” and then I remembered, “I’m becoming a foodie, and that’s what foodies have in their houses.”

Hi, I’m Jen; I’m very fancy and sophisticated. I’m a foodie. I have blood oranges in my house for no reason at all. What’s that? You don’t know what a blood orange is? Oh, you are so beneath me.

So last night I was brainstorming, trying to come up with ideas for my blog, and one of them was, leftovers. I absolutely hate leftovers. I don't like to eat the same meal two nights in a row, unless it’s pizza, but not leftover pizza, just fresh, hot, delicious pizza two nights in a row. Then I remembered that one of my damn resolutions was to “waste less”, and I’m pretty sure that throwing out a perfectly good piece of New York strip that cost 15 bucks would count as waste. So I took my new, superior, non-wasteful self over to the fridge and worked it out.

Steak Salad with Blood Orange Dressing

I took the steak and seared it in a very hot skillet (we don’t have a microwave. Microwaves are so last year), then sliced it very thin. Filled 2 dinner plates with Arugula (my brother was joining me. He doesn’t mind leftovers at all and he has a microwave). Topped with the steak, good Greek feta, blood orange slices (skins removed, of course), sliced red onion (you can also use shallots-they are milder than an onion) and sliced radishes. And, covered it with blood orange dressing.

Blood Orange Dressing (very similar to Balsamic Cumin Dressing)

Equal parts good olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Juice of half a blood orange (and don’t be wasteful- use the other half for slices in the salad), pinch of salt (Maldon is the best!), pinch of pepper and half a teaspoon of cumin. I thought about adding some honey, but I didn’t. It might be worth trying.

Drink accompaniment: I’m sure it would be great with a glass of Chateau Bonnet, Bordeaux Rouge Reserve 03’, but we didn’t have any on hand (imagine that.). I drank XXX Vitamin Water & my brother had a Negra Modelo.

8 comments:

charlotte said...

what a v. good dressing recipe. I'm rather partial to blood oranges in any form. thank you for the chemex advice - they unfortunately don't ship to the uk but I've found a company that imports them and sells them at double the price. hmn, is it worth it? can I ask what size you have? I was toying with the 6 or 8 cup versions...

Anonymous said...

...just wanted you to know that I've been enjoying your blog and have put your link on my blogroll. Hope you don't mind :)

http://natajane.com/blog/

jen gotch said...

lottie. would it be possible for me to get it for you and ship it? they sell them at the intelligentsia coffee place. i have the 2 - 6 cup and then a much larger one. i think the one at i. is somewhere in between. let me know if you make the dressing.

jen gotch said...

hi natajane, of course i don't mind, in fact i am honored. thank you, thank you, thank you.

Sarah Y said...

the dressing sounds delicious.

Anonymous said...

I happen to love leftovers. I can surely help you stick to your resolution of 'waste less'...

Anonymous said...

I happen to love leftovers. I can surely help you in sticking to your resolution 'waste less'

charlotte said...

jen, that's such a sweet offer but I'm sure with postage and import tax the price difference might not be much at all. but thank you, thank you! - so kind of you to offer. I'll def let you know if I make the dressing.