Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Pasta and Pine Nuts and Butter, Oh My!


I have a horrible stomach ache, but that is not going to stop me from sharing something delicious with you. First I must admit why I have a stomach ache. It's because of you. You told me it was ok to eat tacos, and pizza, and velveeta. What were you thinking? Are you trying to kill me or something? Because since then, since you told me it was ok, I have been eating the junkiest of junk. And now I must pay, with yet another stomach ache.
Was it worth it?
No, not at all.
Do I plan to go on some sort of juice fast or master cleanse starting tomorrow?
Yes!
Will I go on some sort of juice fast or master cleanse starting tomorrow?
No.

Whew. I feel much better now, and while I was complaining to you about this mess you have gotten me into, Andrew was lovely enough to bring me a cup of my very favorite camomile tea. And this is not just any chamomile tea. This is Fleurs de Camomille from Le Pain Quotidien. It's amazing. Grown in Croatia, Bottled in Belgium and a hefty 10 bucks for 16 infusettes (or teabags for us commoners). But I digress.

Spaghetti with pine nuts and browned butter. Ah-may-zing! A major crowd pleaser. It's the kind of meal that everyone likes. Comfort food with a little flair. "Oh this, it's nothing. I just threw it together. I know, I know. Isn't it just grand?" That's how I feel when I serve it, and you will, too. But before you do, here are a few tips.

You have to serve this with oven roasted tomatoes. They have to be on the vine, and it would be great if you could roast them in a white baking dish. They will look amazing when you bring them out to the table all bubbly and hissing. Be sure to coat them a bit with olive oil and sprinkle the tops with good salt before popping them in the oven. Then your guests can fork a couple of those suckers off the vine, onto their plate and then use that same fork to disembowel them onto the pasta. Yum. And yes, I said, "disembowel."

Also, you should serve up some crispy prosciutto to crumble over the top. Another easy crowd pleaser. Just heat a skillet and cook like bacon.

And some chopped parsley in a simple bowl, and some maldon salt, and some fresh ground pepper, and some freshly grated parmesan cheese (I use a vegetable peeler to get really nice pieces). And then your set. Oh, except it would be nice if you had some good wine, crusty bread and a simple arugula salad, too.

Let me know how it goes.

Here is a simple recipe for pine nut brown butter courtesy of Donna Hay's book "Off the Shelf". Just toss with spaghetti (al dente, of course).

Melt 2 3/4 oz butter in a frying pan then add 1/2 cup of pine nuts and simmer until the pine nuts are golden.

34 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow i just made it tonight and it was delicious!

this blog is almost as good...not quite tho
http://greencollarjester.blogspot.com/

JAMJARSUPERSTAR said...

Well, I'm ashamed to say that I can't cook, but I had something very similar in a restaurant once and it was delish!
Sorry about your stomach ache...

http://scarletculturegarden.blogspot.com
http://jamjarsuperstar.blogspot.com

Curly Glamour Girlie said...

Spaghtetti carbonara is my go-to-easy-comfort-food dish. Quick and easy. Plus, it contains bacon, what else could one need???

Anonymous said...

I am totally going to make this tonight if I can get my hands on some decent tomatoes. It looks delicious!

Dr. Atul said...

I am feeling hungry. Can anyone send this to me by post :D

www.shugle.com

Dr. Atul said...

yummy i can smell it

www.shugle.com

Tracey said...

I just discovered your blog through Blueprint, and wow - your pictures are beautiful. I'm hungry now!

hannah said...

oh yes. i can get behind this. easily.

Megan Hahn said...

MMMMMMMM

Madie said...

Looks and sounds delicious! Have you tried it with walnuts? Walnut pesto pasta from my Italian (homestay) mother is one of the best things I've ever had! Just sub walnuts for pine nuts, or use walnuts instead of basil in a classic pesto recipe.

Cheilita said...

your writing style is so funny and endearing.

Anonymous said...

Lol! Your post was about the pains of eating too much junk food- mine last night was about the pains from wanting very badly to eat junk food!

...by the way, this recipe sounds amazing. :)

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Wouldn't basil be better than parsley? I love basil and pine nuts together. But then, I think basil should go with just about everything.

C. Moon Reed said...

This sounds so much better than velveeta, and junk food sounds so gross in comparison. Can you do a blog on juice fasting/cleansing. I'd be interested in your opinion. Thanks!

Local Food Guy said...

I would definitely throw in a half a dozen garlic cloves with the pine nuts just to give it the umph that only garlic can give. Enought to be there but not too much to overpower. Oh and you definitly want to watch the Garlic as it's in the butter. It will get crunchy and burnt really quickly. Softened and slightly brown is what you want. And when you are done infusing the butter with it's goodness you can use the "roasted" Garlic as an ingredient in a caeser salad which would be a kicking first course for this dish.
Finish it with roasted rack of lamb and a tiramisu and it would be nap time!

niks said...

hey it luks delicious.as my cooking skills are dreadfull so jus can luk at the pic and imagine it's taste. and hope ur stomach ache goes.

Anonymous said...

pine nut browned butter is nice, and the roasted tomatoes as well but I like to have a little chicken with it as well. just a few slices.

Anonymous said...

That sounds so simple and delicious. I'm definitely going to cook this.

Journey_of_Life said...

http://oneagainstmesothelioma.blogspot.com/

aub said...

Blueprint guided me here and my tummy has gotten me to stay :)

Special Design Diamond Ring said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
k said...

It sounds fabulous! Love the velveeta, pizza, taco discouragement. Who would have thought??? :)

EY said...

When you're feeling festive and Velveeta-y, melt it in the microwave with some Ro*Tel until it's a luscious dip. (Ro*Tel is a brand of diced tomatoes and green chilies. I'm sure other brands of that would do, but seriously, if you can find that brand, use it.) Some people put sausage in their dip, but it's really not necessary.

toro said...

Very mmm!
I was in Japan, which own an art beside a bakery, ice cream and cake, such as those who write a blog.
Arbitrary, but in the future I hope it will help link.
If it's okay, my blog also links please.
(とてもおいしそう!
私は、日本でパン屋を営んでいる傍ら、アイスクリームやケーキなどのブログを書いている者です。
勝手ですけど、今後も参考にさせていただきたいのでリンクしました。
もしよかったら、私のブログもリンクしてください。
お願いします。
それでは。)

Anonymous said...

You know what that sounds like a yummy plate. I would totally add shavings of parmesan for sure. Yum!

Anonymous said...

I'm a diabetic who unfortunately LOVVVVES pasta. This sounds positively HEALTHY (even for me !) & I plan to try it this week !

here I am! said...

To mention the unmentionable, the only way to fix a messed up tummy, is to take an enema!
yep, it works every time.

Lauren said...

love your site! I am also trying to become a foodie. have you read "cooking for mr. latte" by amanda hesser yet?

Anonymous said...

came upon your blog via orangette. very interesting. about this dish, add a splash of heavy cream fro a luxurious firt course.

Jen said...

Just made it and LOVED it! So easy, so yummy, SO impressive to guests. Forgot to crumble proscuitto into it, but it was still great. The only thing I changed was adding both chopped parsley and basil, as some of the other commenters suggested. If you're even toying with making this, DO IT.

D said...

Yum that sounds really good! I love your blog, it's amazing.

I love reading cook books just for the description of the dishes (weird I know) but your blog does it way better, I addicted.

Coveiter said...

drool!
must.try.this

Andrew said...

Why do the pine nuts always make their way to the bottom of the dish. As much as I love them, I always end up with a heap at the bottom of the bowl at the end of the meal!

Anonymous said...

my goodness!
i am hungry now.
at 11:17 pm at night.
this is ridiculous.

hehe jkay thank you for this idea!
you are amazing.